Friday, July 31, 2009

Savoury mince

This one is an Aussie favourite...
Every Aussie mum has her own recipe. (even my mum, a notoriously and famously bad cook made it. She called it "concoction meat")
Here's my take :

  1. 1 kg beef mince
  2. 1 can diced tomatoes
  3. half a cup of worcestershire sauce
  4. half a cup tomato paste
  5. herbs and spices to taste (I use paprika, cumin, ground coriander, dried rosemary and dried thyme. I use dried because it has a more intense flavour)
  6. 1 litre vegetable stock
  7. 2 chopped onions (I use a Tupperware Happy Chopper. It means that Katharine can help me cook)
  8. 2 cloves garlic, diced
  9. 1 cup frozen peas
  • Fry off onion is a small amount of canola oil.
  • Add garlic, and a splash of water.
  • Add in the mince, breaking it up.
  • Add in the can of tomatoes. Keep breaking up the mince.
  • Add in the tomato paste, and the stock.
  • Add in the worcestershire sauce.
  • Simmer for around 10 minutes.
  • Add in the herbs and spices, and frozen peas and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until still wet, but not sloppy.
  • Meanwhile, cook some rice, mash potatoes or pasta.

Serve mince over rice.

No comments: